This Web Site is Generously Hosted by
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet
Four wide-spread instances of close associations are known between the Combs and Willis Families:
- George WYLLYS (WILLIS) of Fenny Compton, Warwickshire, EN and New Haven CT who m in 1609 in Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire, EN, Bridget YONG (YOUNG), step-daughter of Thomas COMBE of Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire;
- John WILLIS of Richmond Co VA whose property was adjacent to that of John & Hannah (MASON?) Combs, s/o Archdale Combs I of Old Rappa Co VA in the late 1600s and early 1700s; and
- John WILLIS of Hawkins Co TN whose property was adjacent to that of Martin and Sarah Combs Johnson in the late 1700s and early 1800s.
- Hiram WILLIS (sometimes a.k.a. WILLS and/or (more often) seen as WELLS) of Grayson Co VA in the early 1800s whose son, William, m Sarah Combs, d/o Zadock and Sarah PAYNE Combs; and daughter, Caroline, m Joseph Combs, s/o Zedakiah and Elizabeth JOHNSON Combs.
- Note: We not only have two Combs-Johnson-Willis (Wells) connections in (3) and (4), but also Daniel and Sylvy Combs Payne who were later neighbors of the above Martin and Sarah Combs Johnson in Warren Co TN.
So far as is known (research in progress), no relationship existed between these four WILLIS families; however, research is in progress in an effort both to learn more about the Combs Families, and also to determine if the WILLIS Families may provide yet more clues to the Combs. The following report references only the Combs-Willis Families of Warwickshire, EN and affiliated families of BONNER, CHAMBERS, SAVAGE, SMITH and YOUNG.
Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.
NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet's Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety -- including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c Research Group, Email: Webmaster.
© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group