This Web Site is Generously Hosted by
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet
|Combs &c. Families|
of Tasmania, AU
Last updated 01 April 2009
You are Our 3604th Visitor.
Please Email Additions/Corrections to Webmaster
Tasmania - The first reported sighting of Tasmania by a European was on 24 November 1642, by the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman. He named the island Anthony van Diemen's Land after his sponsor Anthony van Diemen, the Governor of the Dutch East Indies. The name was later shortened to Van Diemen's Land by the British. The first settlement was by the British at Risdon Cove on the eastern bank of the Derwent estuary in 1803, by a small party sent from Sydney [NSW], under Lt. John Bowen for the purpose of preventing the French from claiming the island. The early settlers were mostly convicts and their military guards, with the task of developing agriculture and other industries. Van Diemen's Land was proclaimed a separate colony from New South Wales, with its own judicial establishment and Legislative Council, on 3 December 1825.
(Convicts to Australia) Convict Ships to Tasmania 1812-1853
Vessel Arrived Port Sailed From Days Embarked Tasmania NSW Victoria Norfolk Is Master Surgeon
“Southworth (2)” 19 10 1830 VDL 26 06 1830 Sheerness 115 160 159 Jn Coombs Alex Stewart
Arrived Tasmania 2/August/1835 ASSIGNMENT LIST Male convicts embarked on this ship to VDL.
NAME CONVICTED WHEN TERM
COOMBS Robert Southampton Assizes 3/Mar/1835 Fourteen Years
MALE CONVICTS MANGLES 7 - Tasmania Gen Web
NUMBER NAME CONVICT SHIP
- COMBER John Isabella 2
- COMBER Thomas Norfolk 4
- COOMBES Peter Augusta Jessie 1
- COOMBS John St Vincent 3
- COOMBS Robert Mangles 7
- COOMBS Robert Susan 1
Tasmanian Convicts - Tasmania Gen Web
SPOUSE1----------- SHIP-----------SPOUSE2-----------SHIP---------Place of Abode--------Date
COOMBS Robert T.L.Susan 1 ROBINSON Mary T.L.Woodbridge both residing in Hobart Town August 1847
COOMBES Elizabeth FREE LEVY Isaac T.L.Equestrian 1 both residing in Hobart October 1850
COOMBES Laura FREE SIMMONDS Ralph T.L.Maitland both residing in Hobart October 1850
Convict Permission To Marry - Tasmania Gen Web
NAME OCCUPATION PLACE DATE
COOMBS Charles --- Ridgeway 1890-91
POST OFFICE DIRECTORY BUCKINGHAM COUNTY Tasmania 1890-1891 - Tasmania Gen Web
COOMBS Rev.Uriah Congregational Franklin 1890-91
POST OFFICE DIRECTORY KENT COUNTY Tasmania 1890-1891 - Tasmania Gen Web
NAME ADDRESS OCCUPATION
COOMBS Charles 47 Princes Street no occupation
West Hobart Commonwealth Electoral Roll 1913 - Tasmania Gen Web
Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.
NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet’s Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety — including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c. Research Group, Email: Webmaster.
© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group