This Web Site is Generously Hosted by
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet
|Combs &c. Families of|
Reading, Berkshire, England
Reading, a borough and market town, having separate jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of Reading, county of Berks, 26 miles south southeast of Abingdon, and 39 southwest of London, on the road to Bath, lies less than 4 mi. from Beenham (See Also Parishes within 10 miles of Beenham)… “In the beginning of the reign of Charles I., the courts of Chancery, King's Bench, and Common Pleas, with the court of Exchequer, and the courts of Wards and Liveries, were held at Reading, in Michaelmas term, in the year 1625, and again in 1635, in consequence of the prevalence of the plague, which was then raging in the metropolis, and a commission under the great seal, for putting in force the laws against the Popish recusants, was read in the courts here. At the commencement of the parliamentary war in this reign, the town was garrisoned for the parliament, but was abandoned by the governor on the approach of the royal forces in 1642; after which it was held by the king's troops, till taken for the parliament by the Earl of Essex, in the following year, after a siege of eight days. After the battle of Newbury, Essex marched to Reading, where he remained for two days; on his departure, it was again garrisoned for the king, who, on his visit in 1644, ordered the military works which had been erected, to be demolished: there are still many extensive remains of the outworks in the Forbury. The inhabitants suffered severely from the contributions levied by both parties, who had alternate possession of the town. In 1688, some Irish and Scottish troops belonging to the army of James II. were posted at Reading, from which they fled on the approach of the Dutch troops under the Prince of Orange; but returning soon after, a skirmish took place in the town, in which the only officer in the prince's army who lost his life in the expedition, was killed: the anniversary of this battle, which was called “Reading Fight,” was annually commemorated till about the year 1788, when it was discontinued… The town comprises the parishes of St. Giles, St. Lawrence, and St. Mary, in the archdeaconry of Berks, and diocese of Salisbury. The living of St. Giles' is a vicarage… in the patronage of the Crown… The living of St. Lawrence's is a vicarage… in the patronage of the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford… : The living of St. Mary's is a vicarage… in the patronage of the Crown…” (Lewis…, 1830)
25 Jun 1547 St. Mary, Reading, Berkshire, England. Christened: Elizabeth COMBE, d/o (blank) (IGI, B: 29 Jan 1969 SLAKE Ba: P018471, E: 21 Mar 1969 SLAKE So: 088341, Pr: 1235406, film not read)
1568 Thomas COMES, Reading, ad. 138i (Extracted by Combs Researchers Joe Kendalll and Denise Mortorff from "The Index Library Index to Wills Proved and Administrations Granted In the Court of the Archdeacon of Berks 1508-1652," ed. by W.P.W. Phillimore. London. British Record Society Limited. 1893, p. 42)
09 Jul 1570 Saint Giles, Reading, Berkshire. Christened: Amye COOME, d/o (blank) (IGI, Ba: C017642, So: 088342, Pr: 6900163, film not yet read)
1590 Grant regarding Reading involving an indented document from a Rowland Combe, Fishmonger, of Reading to a William Webb, citizen and Alderman of London. Record can be found in the Miscellaneous Unofficial Collections (Catalogue 13), Catalogue Ref.D/EX 1101-1200, specific Ref. D/EX 1112/1 Berkshire Record Office.
Note: An indented document has a wavy top and is generally referred to as an indenture.
1615 John COOMES, Reading L.543 (Extracted by Combs Researchers Joe Kendalll and Denise Mortorff from "The Index Library Index to Wills Proved and Administrations Granted In the Court of the Archdeacon of Berks 1508-1652," ed. by W.P.W. Phillimore. London. British Record Society Limited. 1893, p. 43)
1615 John COOMES, Reading L.543. (Extracted by Combs Researcher Joe Kendalll from "British Record Society. New Series. Vol.8. London, 1995," which includes Berkshire, England Wills and Administrations 1508-1652)
Notes: See also the 1615 record for John COOMBE, Sr. of Buckland Not known if same.
26 Aug 1622 Married: Tho COMES (M) and Anne SEYWARD, Saint Giles, Reading, Berkshire, EN. (IGI, Ba: E017642, So: 088342, Pr: 1238683, film not yet read)
15 Nov 1644 Married: John COOMES (M) and Elizabeth CAINE, Saint Giles, Reading, Berkshire, EN (IGI, Ba: E017642, So: 088342, Pr: 1238683, Film not yet read)
See Archdale COMBE of Old Rappa. County, Virginia with OCAINE. See Combs-Seyward in Hurst, Berks, in Dorset, and in the Virginia counties of Isle of Wight, New Kent and on Pope's Creek of Westmoreland.
Return to Combs &c. of Berkshire
Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.
NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet’s Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety — including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c. Research Group, Email: Webmaster.
© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group