This Web Site is Generously Hosted by
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet
|Combs &c. Families of|
of Leicestershire, England
Last updated 10 May 2009
You are Our 7344th Visitor.
Please Email Additions/Corrections to Webmaster
Leicestershire, inland county of England, bounded N. by Nottinghamshire, E. by Lincolnshire and Rutland, SE. by Northamptonshire, SW by Warwickshire, and NW. by Derbyshire; greatest length, about 44 miles; greatest breadth, about 40 miles; area, 511,907 acres,…1 “Leicestershire was recorded in the Domesday Book in four wapentakes: Guthlaxton, Framland, Goscote and Gartree. These later became hundreds, with the division of Goscote in 1346 into West Goscote and East Goscote, and the addition of Sparkenhoe hundred. In 1087, the first recorded use of the name was as Laegrecastrescir.” 2
- Gazetteer of the British Isles, by John Bartholomew 1887
- Encyclopedia Britannica 1911
Also see Archdale, Combs &c. Families of Leicestershire, England
Combs &c. Records by Hundred and Parish in which Combs and Associated Families have been found thus far
- Hundred of East Goscote (originally Goscote) (None at this time)
- Hundred of Framland (originally a wapentake) (None at this time)
- Hundred of Gartree (originally a wapentake) (None at this time)
- Hundred of Goscote (originally a wapentake; divided into East & West Goscote) (None at this time)
- Hundred of Guthlaxton (originally a wapentake) (None at this time)
- Hundred pf Sparkenhoe (None at this time)
- Hundred of West Goscote (originally Goscote) (None at this time)
To learn more about medieval terms for land see the ENGLAND: Land from Medieval to Present Day.
Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.
NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet’s Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety — including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c. Research Group, Email: Webmaster.
© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group