This Web Site is Generously Hosted by
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet
|Combs &c. Families|
of Dukes Co, MA
New 20 Nov 1999
Please Email Additions/Corrections to Webmaster
Dukes County, which is composed of Martha's Vineyard, the Elizabeth Islands, and Nomans Land, was established in 1683 by the Provincial Assembly of New York, and was acquired by the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1691. (Organization and Jurisdiction of the County of Dukes County, Dr. Charles Banks)
Towns in Dukes Co, MA
(extracted from the Duke
- Chilmark est. as Tisbury Manor in 1671, settled by Europeans ca 1672-3, unofficially organized as a town abt 1696 and formally incorporated in 1714; includes village of Menmsha; Nomans Land, a small island south of Gay Head, historically part of Chilmark, is now owned by the US Government)
- Edgartown (1st settled in 1641/2; called Great Harbor until 1671 when established as the Town of Edgartown; includes the island community of Chappaquiddick
- Gay Head created from Chilmark in 1855, incorporated 1870; also known as “Aquinnah”.
- Gosnold aka the Elizabeth Islands; separated from Chilmark in 1863; consists of Nonamesset, Uncatena, Monohansett, Naushon, Weepecket, Pasque, Nashawena, Penekese, Gull, and Cuttyhunk.
- Oak Bluffs divided from Edgartown in 1880, known as Cottage City until 1907; first settled by Europeans ca1667; includes the community of Eastville)
- Tisbury, called Middletown until it's incorporation as the Town of Tisbury in 1671 includes the village of Vineyard Haven, called Holmes Hole until 1871.
- West Tisbury from Tisbury in 1892, original site of the European settlement of Middletown, includes the communities of North Tisbury (originally Newtown) and Christiantown.
1840 Dukes Co, MA Census Index
James M. COMBS
1850 Dukes Co, MA Census
(transcribed by Deb Coombs)
Roll 309 p. 395
133 James M. COOMBS, 38, M, Hatter, Rochester, NY
Salome, 38, F, Falmouth, MA
Calisle, 12, F, Tisbury, MA, attended school within the year
James M., 9, M, Edgartown, MA, attended school within the year
Harriet W., 7, F, Edgartown, MA, attended school within the year
12 Oct 1834 CHASE, Salome K. and James M. COOMBS (publishment of intention of marriage COOMS)
Extracted by Combs Researcher Debi Houser from Vital Records of Tisbury [Dukes Co], Massachusetts to the year 1850, Marriages
Important: All Records collected for this county may not have been added here as yet. See also the Combs Research List Archives
Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.
NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet's Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety -- including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c Research Group, Email: Webmaster.
© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group