This Web Site is Generously Hosted by
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet
|Some Combs-Payne Connections|
Last Modified 03-Dec-2007
You Are Our 23950th Visitor since our move
Please Email Additions/Correction to The Combs Research List
Background: In Old Rappa Co, VA, the Combs of that county were closely associated in the late 1600s with a Robert PAYNE, "formerly DAVIS," who in turn was thought to have been closely related to one John PAYNE of Old Rappa Co, VA, many of whose descendants married Combs, whose genealogy was closely studied by Col. Brook Payne (1872-1938), author of "The Paynes of Virginia,", C. J. Carrier Company, Harrisonburg, VA 1990 (Second Printing), the primary source for the following. More about this line of Paynes can also be found at Danny Payne's Paynes of Virginia (offline). See also the hot-linked Combs Counties of Record below for possible additional data, as well as our Combs Research List Archives (for possibly more about this family and/or others of this surname), and see also Daniel & Sylvia Combs Payne of Warren Co, TN.
According to Paynes of Virginia, the children of John PAYNE of Old Rappa Co, VA included William PAYNE, b bef 1652, d Feb 1697/98, Cople Parish, Westmoreland Co, VA, buried in an unmarked grave in Yeocomico Churchyard in Westmoreland Co., VA; m (1) ca 1688, Westmoreland Co, VA, Frances UNKNOWN, by whom he had Anne PAYNE; and m (2) abt 1691, Westmoreland Co, VA, Elizabeth POPE,* by whom he had: William PAYNE, Edward PAYNE, Elizabeth PAYNE and Mary PAYNE
William PAYNE (s/o William and Elizabeth POPE Payne), b 10 Aug 1692, Westmoreland County, Virginia, d 24 Aug 1776, Fairfax Co., VA; m (1) Feb 1712/13, Richmond Co., VA, Alicia JONES, by whom he had: Anne PAYNE, William PAYNE, Edward PAYNE, and Sanford PAYNE; m (2) Anne JENNINGS, 1 Mar 1763, Fairfax Co, Virginia, by whom he had: John PAYNE and Mildred PAYNE.
*Elizabeth POPE d/o Humphrey & Elizabeth HAWKINS Pope (Muckleroy), m 2nd Daniel McCARTY (abt 1629-1724). Her sister, Diana POPE (m Harmon YOUELL) died at the home of Phillip Combs of Westmoreland Co, VA ca 1718. (See also other Combs-Pope Connections in Richmond Co, VA).
- Edward PAYNE, b 18 Nov 1726, Westmoreland County, VA;
d 17 May 1806, Fayette Co., KY;
m 27 Feb 1749/50, Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co, Virginia,
Anne Holland CONYERS, by whom he had: Theodosia PAYNE; Henry PAYNE;
William PAYNE; Elizabeth PAYNE; Sanford PAYNE; Edward Conyers
PAYNE; Daniel McCarty PAYNE; Jilson PAYNE; and James Orlando PAYNE.
William PAYNE (s/o Edward & Anne Holland CONYERS Payne), b 21 Mar 1755, Fairfax Co., VA, d 21 Feb 1829, Mason Co., KY; m (1) ca 1775, Fairfax Co, VA, Mary GRYMES,* by whom he had: James PAYNE, Jesse PAYNE, Elizabeth PAYNE (m Benjamin Bullitt Combs),** Polly Grymes PAYNE, William Henry PAYNE (m Seth Combs), Catherine PAYNE, Sally PAYNE and Dennis PAYNE (m Nancy Combs); m (2) 1 Sep 1791, Kentucky, Mildred HARRISON, by whom he had Jilson PAYNE, Sanford PAYNE, Maria PAYNE, John Newton PAYNE, Buckner Harrison PAYNE, Peggy PAYNE, Dulcinea Harrison PAYNE, Clarissa PAYNE, Augustus Henry Fitzherbert Warburton Keats PAYNE, Edward Conyers PAYNE, Nancy Morton PAYNE and Lucilla Harrison PAYNE.
*Researcher Helen McKnight: Mary, d/o Phillip GRYMES (his 1805 Fayette Co KY will)
**Benjamin Bullitt, Seth and Nancy Combs were all children of Cuthbert & Sarah EVANS Combs, Sr. of Clark Co, KY and grandchildren of John & Seth BULLITT Combs, Sr. of Stafford Co, VA.
- Sanford PAYNE (s/o Edward & Anne Holland CONYERS
Payne), b ca 1730, Westmoreland Co, VA; d aft 7 Apr 1787, Fairfax
Co, VA; m Abigail LAY, by whom he had: Benjamin PAYNE (m 2 Heland
Luttrell Combs); George PAYNE; Sanford PAYNE; Jane PAYNE;
Alicia PAYNE; Sarah PAYNE; Ann PAYNE and Helen PAYNE.
Heland Luttrell Combs was first cousin to Benjamin Bullitt, Seth and Nancy Combs, the d/o John & Sarah LUTTRELL Combs, Jr. of Fauquier Co, VA, and gd/o the above-noted John & Seth BULLITT Combs, Sr.
Benjamin PAYNE (s/o Sanford and Abigail LAY), b ca 1761, Fairfax Co., VA; d ca 1828, Fauquier Co., VA; m (1) 3 Jan 1781, Fauquier Co., VA, Susannah ROUSSAU (d/o William and Priscilla MAUZY Rousseau); by whom he had: Henry Roussau PAYNE, James Roussau PAYNE, Priscilla PAYNE and Sarah PAYNE; m (2) bef 1795, Helen Luttrell Combs (d/o John & Sarah LUTTRELL Combs, Sr.), by whom he had: Sanford PAYNE (b ca 1794), William PAYNE (b ca 1810); Elizabeth PAYNE (m 21 Dec 1819, Fauquier Co, VA, "her cousin" James Combs); Jane PAYNE (m 19 Jul 1825, Fauquier Co, VA, Silas BRYANT); and Hetty PAYNE (m 3 Mar 1827, Fauquier Co, VA, Elijah THORNBERRY).
Notes: The ancestry of James Combs of Fauquier Co, VA has not yet been determined. Margaret ROUSSEAU, also a d/o William and Priscilla MAUZY Rousseau, m 20 Feb 1779, Fauquier Co, VA, Ennis Combs, also a s/o John & Seth BULLITT Combs, Sr.
Of the children of William and Mary GRYMES Payne who married
Children of Cuthbert & Sarah EVANS Combs, Sr.,
Combs-Payne Researcher Helen McKnight adds the following:
Elizabeth PAYNE (d/o William & Mary GRYMES Payne), b 23 Dec 1779, Loudoun Co, VA, d Oct 1834, m 26 Aug 1796, Clark Co, KY (Clark Co MB; Paynes of VA p. 275 has "1797") , Benjamin Bullitt Combs (s/o Cuthbert & Sarah EVANS Combs, Sr.), d Sep 1834, by whom she had: Polly Combs (m Paul EVANS), Sally Combs (m William DOZIER), Cuthbert Combs, William Combs, Eli Combs, Clarissa Combs and Narcissa Ann Combs (Christian Co, KY Records).
William Henry PAYNE (s/o William and Mary GRYMES Payne), b 28 Jan 1784, Loudoun Co., VA, drowned 15 Dec 1836 btw Boone Co MO & Christian Co KY (p. 276 Paynes of VA), m 25-29 Mar 1802, Clark Co, Kentucky, Seth/Sythe Combs, b 1765-1784, Stafford Co, VA; also drowned 15 Dec 1836 btw Boone Co, MO and Christian Co, KY;* by whom he had: Jilson Edward PAYNE, Sallie Ann PAYNE, Narcissa Burdett PAYNE, Ennis Sanford PAYNE, Polly Ann PAYNE, Louisa M. PAYNE, Theresa PAYNE, Elbridge Gerry PAYNE, Elizabeth PAYNE, Sythe PAYNE, Paulina PAYNE and Sarah Ann PAYNE (Payne).
*Ed Note: According to the Edna F. Hightower Collection, "Cytha PAYNE and husband were drowned South Grand Osage river in Mo."
Dennis PAYNE (s/o William & Mary GRYMES Payne), b 17 Jul 1789, KY , d bef 1825, Todd Co, KY, m 29 Dec 1809, Clark Co, KY (Clark Co KY MB 1793-1850, George Doyle's 1934 typescript at Filson Club, Louisville, KY), Nancy Combs (d/o Cuthbert & Sarah EVANS Combs, Sr.), b abt 1788, Stafford Co, VA, by whom he had: Cuthbert Combs PAYNE, Newton PAYNE, Sally Ann PAYNE, William PAYNE and Fielding A. PAYNE (Paynes of VA, pp. 254, 277, 315)
Dennis PAYNE, a surveyor, was born 17 July 1789 in KY and died btw 1823-26 Sept 1825 in Todd Co. KY. (Christian Co KY DB Q p. 227, 31 March 1826 Deed "Dennis now deceased" [nb: can't place 26 Sept 1825 record right now] (Also see Christian Co KY Deed Bk H p. 283. 21 Aug 1816. "I Dennis Payne of Christian Co KY, appoint my brother William H. PAYNE, of same, as attorney-in-fact to settle, receive, etc., my part in estate of Cuthbert Combs, dec'd late of Clarke Co KY or Sally Combs, deceased, the wife of Cuthbert." Test: Benjamin Combs)
Nancy Combs born c1788 in VA, died after 1850 Christian Co KY census (census p. 452 - age 62 VA in HH of son Newton PAYNE). Also see Christian Co KY Deed Bk 27 p. 178. 12 Dec 1842: Nancy PAYNE, widow of Dennis PAYNE, dec'd, Frederick A. HOOKER & Sally Ann his wife, late Sally Ann PAYNE, Fielding A. PAYNE, William PAYNE & Sarah Elizabeth his wife, heirs & rep. of dec'd, deed to Wm U. BERNARD? of Christian Co KY at $1?? per acre, land on waters of Little River. $120, allotted Nancy as her dower, by County Court of Todd Co. KY. (Abstracted), Nancy Combs & Dennis Payne lived Clark, Bourbon, Todd, and Christian Cos. KY.
On 3 June 1813, Dennis PAYNE and brothers William Henry and Jesse* (Christian Co KY Deed D pp. 162-164) bought adjoining land on East Fork of Little River from John & Gracy PURSLEY (also in Williams' "The Story of Todd Co. KY 1820-1970, p. 18)
*Ed Note: Jesse PAYNE, b 19 Jul 1777, Loudoun Co, VA, d 1843, m 17 Dec 1798, Clark Co, KY, Nancy RICHARDSON, d 1825, according to Paynes of Virginia. It is not known if Nancy was kin to Sarah RICHARDSON, w/o Benjamin Combs (brother to Cuthbert Sr.)
Children of Nancy Combs and Dennis PAYNE:
- son b. c1810, apparently died young?
- William b. c1812? m. Sarah E. Lander 7 Nov 1840 in Christian Co KY "lived to be an old man…resided Pembroke, KY. No children" (Paynes of VA p. 315) Meador's "Christian Co KY Cemeteries," p. 187 (at Filson Club in 1970s) has Lander Cemetery, Edwards Mill Rd.: Sarah E., wife of William PAYNE, 28 Oct 1823 - 27 July 1886. [I suppose this is the lady - someone might check that cemetery. Also Gary's "Abstracts of Will Books, 1797-1900, Christian Co KY ," p. 220, has will Bk X p. 423 will of Sarah E. PAYNE, "husband Wm", dated 7 Mar 1884, pro. 6 Sept 1886. P. 247 has Bk Y p. 232 will of Wm PAYNE, "widow S. E." dated same date 7 Mar 1884, pro. 1893 (she died First). Christian Co KY 1850 census p. 381 #321-347 Wm Payne, farmer 37 KY; Sarah E. 26 KY, John L. 9 KY.
- Cuthbert Combs, b. 1813 in KY m. Mary B. ROWLAND (12 May 1815 "of Smithland, Ky") 30 May 1837 Caldwell Co KY & d. 18 March 1860. "Lived near Eddyville, KY" (Paynes of VA, p. 315)
- Newton b. 14 Jan 1814 KY m-1 Mahala CLARK 22 Feb 1844 Todd Co KY m-2 Mrs. Lauvisa A. BAKER Faulkner (b. 1827) on 25 July 1853. Died after 1884 "lived to be an old man" 2 children by 1st wife: 1) Davie Ella, d. Aug 1873 Hopkinsville, KY, m. 1st cousin James D. HOOKER (b. Oct 1843) and 2) son Leslie Elwood (d. 3 Feb 1877 "not married")] and 5 children by 2nd marriage: Effie, John W., Minnie, Fielding Baker, Edna. [Paynes of VA p. 315 & Wm Henry Perrin's "History of Christian Co KY (1884), pp. 394-5, state "4th child" (Biography of Newton Payne [offline])
- Sally Ann b. 1815-17? d. after 1870 census Shelby Co TN m. 30 Nov 1837 Christian Co KY to Frederick A. HOOKER (d. btw. 1860-1870 census Shelby Co TN) (Paynes of VA p. 315. Christian Co Ky MB A-R 1818-50, p. 168, lic. 28 Nov 1837, m. 30 Nov 1837 by Geo. P. Giddin, M. G. The marriage also in Gary's "Christian Co, KY Marriages, 1797-1850 p. 103) 1840 Shelby Co TN Census p. 34, 9th Dist, Fisherville, Fredk HOOKER; 1850 Census Shelby Co TN, 9th dist, #1215 F. A. & Sarah HOOKER & ch; 1860 Census Shelby Co TN p. 262 Fisherville p. 262 # 1693-1727: F. A. 45VA & S. A. HOOKER 45KY 1870 census Shelby Co TN p. 36 #271 S. A. aged 54 6) Fielding A. b. c1824KY d. after 1860 census Shelby Co TN, m. 31 July 1849 Shelby Co TN to Lucy A. (J?) Hooker (Whitley's Marriages of Shelby Co TN 1820-1858, p. 45)
Children of Sally Ann Payne and Frederick A. HOOKER:
- Martha A. Virginia b. 7 Oct 1839 Hopkinsville, KY d. 12 Sept 1902 Shelby Co TN m. 31 Aug 1857 Shelby Co TN to Albert B. HAMNER (he d. 8 Oct 1885)
- Mary/Mollie T. b c. 1842 Christian Co KY, m. 19 Jan 1858 Shelby Co TN to James A. HAMNER (Whitley's Marriages of Shelby Co TN 1820-1858, p. 95)
- James D. b. Oct 1843 m. 1st cousin Davie Ella PAYNE, dau. of Newton Payne.
- Joe Stanson b. Aug 1845 Shelby Co TN d. af 1900 census, m. 29 Sept 1864 Shelby Co TN to Malissa PRIDE (Shelby Co TN Marriage Record 3 p. 44)
- Nancy/Nannie b. ca 1848 Shelby Co TN m.
MajorAndrew Jackson “A. J.” FLETCHER
Note: “AJ” (18 Sep 1842 -30 Dec 1881) m. (1) Nancy Annie Payne Hooker was never known as “Major”. His son, Andrew Peyton Fletcher’s nickname was “Major” and was not a title or given name. A. J.´s 1st wife was Nancy Annie Payne Hooker, daughter of Frederick Augustus Hooker & Sarah Ann Payne. AJ´s second wife was Mary Elizabeth Brooks (1851-1920), my 2nd great-grandmother. Submitted by Brenda Black Watson See her site
- Frederick A. b ca 1849
- Sarah Annie b. 25 July 1851 Shelby Co TN, d. 15 Dec 1889 Shelby Co TN (tombstone), m. ca 1868 to John Wright HOUSTON (15 Jan 1840 - 29 Sept 1907, Fisherville community, Shelby Co TN), son of Martha/Patsy Lyle GILLESPIE and John/Jack Houston. [Pattie Mabel Houston (1880-1960), dau of Sarah Annie Hooker & John Wright Houston, married 2nd on 15 Oct 1903 to Robert Milton Stone (1879-1942). Pattie and Milton Stone were my maternal grandparents, lived Collierville, TN and Rossville, TN] (See 1850 census Shelby Co TN HH #1215 F. A. Hooker 34VA & Sarah 33 Ky & family; 1860 census Shelby Co TN p. 262 #1693-1727 F.A. & S.A. Hooker's HH)
Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.
NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet's Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety -- including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c Research Group, Email: Webmaster.
© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group