This Web Site is Generously Hosted by
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet
|Combs &c. Families|
of Willand, Devonshire, England
Willand, a small parish and village in the east division, hundred of Halberton, county of Devon, 2-1/4 miles north northeast of Cullompton, 2-1/4 miles northwest of Kentisbeare, 2-1/4 miles southeast of Halberton, 2-1/2 miles south of Sampford Peverell, 2-1/4 miles southwest of Uffculme, 3-1/3 miles southeast of Uplowman, 4-1/2 miles southwest of Burlescombe, five miles northeast of Bradninch, 5 miles southwest of Holcombe Rogus, five miles east south east of Tiverton and 6 miles northeast of Clyst St. Lawrence... containing 289 inhabitants in 1831... (Lewis) and 345 in 1850 (White) in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter... and in the patronage of the SALTER family (1830). The church is dedicated to St. Mary... The river Culme runs through the parish... consists of about 950 acres of land, belonging to (in 1850) C. and E. SALTER, the Rev. G.T. SMITH, Benjamin WALROND, George WOOD, E. BROOM, T.B. ROWE, and several other freeholders. The Church (St. Mary,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells, and a beautiful screen. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 10s. 5d., and in 1831 at £90, is in the patronage of C. and E. SALTER, and incumbency of the Rev. John TAYLOR, who is also vicar of Llanarthney (1850). The parsonage is a small cottage, and the glebe is only 1A.1R.1P... "Many inhabitants of Muxbere in Halberton used the Willand Parish Church." (Excerpted from White's Devonshire Directory of 1851 and Lewis' Topographical Dictionary, 1830)
Gen-UKI, Willand, Devonshire adds that locations in Willand Parish include: "Black-lands (land); Cross (farm); Halfway House (inn); Railway Station (inn); St Mary (parish church); Tawney Meadow (land); Wesleyan Chapel (chapel); White Horse (inn); Willand (village);" and that "Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1607-1837, and Marriages 1607-1635, 1667-1837. (These entries are in part from Bishops' Transcripts.)."
See also Parishes within 10 mi. of Willand
1 Mar 1615/16 1) John CAPPER of Ashpriors [Ash Priors, Somerset]; 2) Rob. COMBE of Willand, Devon; Bond for performance of covenants. Seal - pelican in her piety. (Somerset, England Archives, DDWO 53/3/33)
It is not clear if this is Ash Priors, the tithing in the Taunton Civil Registry District, Hundred of Kingsbury West, or Ash Prior, the parish, although the latter appears more likely, in which case, it is adjacent to Bishops Lydeard, Combe Florey, Halsey, Heathfield, Cothelstone, Oake, Lydeard St. Lawrence; and very near to Fitzhead, West Bagborough, and Milverton, Somerset.
22 Dec 1614. Willand, Devonshire, England. Married: John TYLLY and Susan COMBE. (FamilySearch.Org, IGI, Parish Extract, Transcripts of parish registers and Bishop's transcripts, 1607-1837 Church of England. Parish Church of Willand, Film Not Read)
Susan COMBE Tilly was the sister of Ellis COMBE, Draper, of St. Mary the Virgin Aldermanbury, London, England (named in his 1633 will), thus kinswoman to John & Margaret ARCHDALE Combe of the same (1629 Orion College, Oxford University will of William COMBE, s/o John and Margaret). Ellis COMBE, who was apprenticed as a Draper by John COMBE (father of William) in 1605, also named brothers Robert and John in his will, about whom nothing more is known (are they the John and Robert herein?). The will of William COMBE also included a second Devonshire reference, but with no county stated, a bequest to "my aunte Chrian LANGWORTH livinge in Devonsheire the some of twenty pounds duringe her naturall life up on condition securitie be given that her daughter Margarett shall enjoy it after her decease..." Chrian (Christian? Christine?) appears to have been a COMBE (not an ARCHDALE), but has not yet been located and identified (not even a suspect in hand!).
30 May 1624 Willand, Devon. Christened: Roberte TILLYE, s/o John TILLYE (FamilySearch.Org, IGI, Parish Registers, 1607-1837, So: 0917554, Film: 0933232 - source not yet viewed)
15 Jun 1624 Willand, Devonshire, England. Married: John COOMBE & Elizabeth CHERLYE (ibid.) SW: SHIRLEY
Nov 1635 Willand, Devonshire, England. Christened: John COMBE, s/o Hugh COMBE (ibid.)
See also Hugh COMBE of 1633 Uffculme Parish, possibly the same as 1635 above?
2 Dec. 1674. Willand, co. Devon. Lease. Jas. OSMOND of Willand, yeo. to Thos. WILLIE of Otterford, gent. and Benj. WILLIE of East Buckland, yeo. [? Buckland St Mary]. Somers Mill. [1 doct] (Somerset Record Office Archives, Accession Number: H/85; H/87; W/51/6 Group Code:DDMT, MATTOCK OF LOWTON MANUSCRIPTS, 27/1/181674)
Return to Combs &c. of Devonshire
Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.
NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet’s Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety — including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c. Research Group, Email: Webmaster.
© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group