This Web Site is Generously Hosted by
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet
Note: The primary sources for information given in regard to parish records are GenDoc's Victorian City of London Churches (Church of England a.k.a. Anglican) and FamilySearch.Org
St. Michael Queenhithe, Holy Trinity the Less,
St. James Garlickhithe, city centre, London
St Michael Queenhithe was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt. Holy Trinity the Less* was united with St Michael in 1670, and when St Michael was demolished in 1875, both parishes united with St. James Garlickhithe. Parish records are in the Guildhall Library: baptisms, 1653-1876; marriages, 1653-1875; banns, 1754-1812 and 1823-75; and burials, 1653-1852. Later baptisms and marriages are in the registers of St James Garlickhithe. A partial index to baptisms and marriages for the years, 1651-1875, is in the IGI. Only two Combs entries have been located in the IGI.
*Holy Trinity the Less was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1666 and not rebuilt. Parish records are in the Guildhall Library: baptisms, 1547-1836; marriages, 1547-1830; and burials, 1547-1852. For later baptisms, marriages and banns, see St Michael Queenhithe. A partial index to baptisms for 1547-1836 is in the IGI. No Combs are in this index.3 Sep 1662 Saint Michael Queenhithe, London, London, England. Married: Marie COOMES and Richard ARNOLD (FamilySearch.Org, 1653-1711 Parish registers, #374507, Film No. 6903715 - source not yet viewed)According to Venn's Alumni Cantabrigienses, a later rector of "St. Michael's Queenhithe, Middlesex" was Thomas COOMBE, D. D., two of whose sons, John Riché (adm. pens. Corpus Christi, 10 Oct 1793) by first wife, Sarah Anne LEAKE, and Thomas (adm. Fellows-Commoner at Peterhouse, 17 Nov 1818) by second wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Francis CHASSEREAU, attended Cambridge University. Venn identifies Thomas COOMBE the elder as the former rector of Christ Church, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a "refugee and native " who was loyalist (additional information to be added shortly).
23 Sep 1688 St. Michael Queenhithe, London. Christened: William COOMES, son of William and Dorothy COOMES (IGI entry: Ba: C022742; So: 374507; Pr: 883929, film not yet read)
St. James Garlickhithe, Upper Thames Street, was rebuilt in 1676-82 following the Great Fire. Parish records are in the Guildhall Library: baptisms, 1535-1692/3 and 1708-1971; marriages, 1535-1692/3 and 1708-1970; banns 1754-1816, 1823-52 and 1950; marriage licenses, 1859-70; and burials, 1535-1692/3 and 1708-1853. Baptism, marriage and burial registers for 1693-1708 are not extant. A partial index to baptisms and marriages for the years 1535-1868 is in the IGI.
Return to Combs &c. of London
Return to Greater London Parishes
You are Our 3742nd Visitor Since 21 Jan 2001
Last updated Sunday, 19-Apr-2009 01:32:30 CDT
Please Email Additions and/or Corrections to Webmaster
Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.
NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet's Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety -- including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c Research Group, Email: Webmaster.
© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group