This Web Site is Generously Hosted by
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet
Note: The primary sources for information given in regard to parish records are GenDoc's Victorian City of London Churches (Church of England a.k.a. Anglican) and FamilySearch.Org
Saint Mary at Hill, Eastcheap,
(.062 mi. east of city centre) London
St Mary At Hill, Eastcheap, was rebuilt in 1670-76. St Andrew Hubbard was united with St Mary at Hill in 1670.* St George Botolph Lange and St Botolph Billingsgate were united with St Mary at Hill in 1901.** Parish records are in the Guildhall Library: baptisms 1558-1865, marriages 1558-1784, banns 1754-1813, 1824-1921, burials 1558-1850. Some banns, marriages, baptisms and burials with St Andrew Hubbard from 1742. Later baptisms and marriage registers have been retained by the incumbent. A partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1837 is in the IGI
*St Andrew Hubbard was destroyed in 1666 and not rebuilt. Parish registers are in the Guildhall Library: baptisms 1538-99,1600/1,1706-1812, marriages 1538-1599,1754-1837, burials 1538-1599,1706-1846. No registers for baptisms 1600-1706, marriages 1600-1754, burials 1600-1706, appears to survive, although it is possible that marriages 1672-1754 are among those entered in the registers of St Mary at Hill where the parish of origin of the parties is not stated. For banns 1824-1921 see St Mary at Hill. Later baptisms and marriage registers have not been deposited. A partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1837 is in the IGI. No Combs have been located in this source.
** St Botolph Billingsgate was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1666 and not rebuilt. It was united with St George Botolph Lane in 1670. Parish records are in the Guildhall Library: baptisms 1685-1891, marriages 1685/6-1835 burials 1685/6-1845. Later baptisms are entered in registers of St Mary at Hill (retained by incumbent). Later marriages and banns from 1754 and marriage licenses from 1818 are entered in the registers of St George Botolph Lane. A partial index to baptisms 1686-1875 is in the IGI. No Combs have been located in this source as yet.
St George Botolph Lane was destroyed in 1666, rebuilt, then demolished in 1901-4. It was united to St Mary at Hill in 1901. Parish records are in the Guildhall Library: baptisms 1547-1891, marriages 1547-1890, banns 1580-95, 1754-1842, marriage licenses 1818-88, burials 1546-1848. Later baptisms and marriages are entered in the registers of St Mary at Hill and retained by the incumbent. A partial index to baptisms and marriages 1754-1885 is in the IGI. No Combs entries have been located in this source.1 Jul 1582 St Mary at Hill, London. Christened: Marie COMES, d/o (blank) (FamilySearch.Org, So: 374485, Film No. 374485 - source not yet viewed)According to the Archdale Memoirs, one Francis BARKER died testate in 1603, naming Martin ARCHDALE his cousin. This is one of several possible Francis BARKERS.
19 Feb 1587 St. Mary at Hill, London, England. Married: Franc. BARKER and Katherin MARTEN (FamilySearch.Org, Film or fiche number: 0374485, Parish registers, 1558-1850 Church of England. St. Mary at Hill's Church (London)) [NIGI 1998] [Search Words: MARTIN]19 Aug 1597 St. Mary at Hill, London, England. Married: Edward COMBES and Marie RAYNEBORE (FamilySearch.Org, Film or fiche number: 0374485, Parish registers, 1558-1850 Church of England. St. Mary at Hill's Church (London)) [NIGI 1998] [Search Words: RAINBORE]This is the only entry for this surname in the entire IGI.
Return to Combs &c. of London
Return to Greater London Parishes
You are Our 2841st Visitor Since 28 Feb 2001
Last updated Friday, 25-Mar-2005 01:45:48 CST
Please Email Additions and/or Corrections to Webmaster
Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.
NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet's Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety -- including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c Research Group, Email: Webmaster.
© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group