This Web Site is Generously Hosted by
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet
|Andrew Combs of Tonoloways|
(Son of Joseph Coombs I of Tonoloways?)
This file is a “temporary place holder” pending completion of a final draft. In the meantime, we recommend that researchers review the hot-linked Combs County Research Reports below.
See also SPECIAL STUDY: TONOLOWAYS SETTLEMENT
Andrew COMBS I (Joseph COOMBS I) , born pre-1728, d testate 1773-4, Loudoun Co, VA; m pre-1752, Mary UNKNOWN, b pre-1737, d post-1800, probably in Loudoun Co, VA.3 Andrew was probably the s/o Joseph COMBS I of Fort Coombs, Tonoloways Settlement, present-day Fulton Co, PA. Andrew resided between 1750 and 1757 in Tonoloways, then Cumberland Co, PA. He was taxed between 1755 and 1757 in Frederick Co, MD2. By 1760, he resided in Loudoun Co, VA3, and was taxed in Loudoun in 1762, 1765, and 1767. He is missing from tax rolls from 1768 to 1770, but in 1771 and 1772 was again taxed in Loudoun. His wife, Mary, said by some to have been a CLEMENTS (undocumented) was still alive as late as 1800 when she appears in Loudoun records.
Issue of Andrew:
- Joseph COMBS (Andrew COMBS I, Joseph COOMBS I) was born between 1747 and 1751 in Tonoloways, Cumberland Co, PA. He is first found in the records of Loudoun Co, VA3 in 1772/73. He was a County Supervisor in 1783 in Westmoreland Co, PA.5 He was taxed between 1785 and 1815 in Franklin Twp., Fayette Co, PA.4 He has not yet been located in either the 1800 or 1810 census enumerations. In 1819, he was residing in Fayette Co, PA4 and in 1820, islisted on the Wayne Co, OH6 census. He died in 1827 in Ripley Twp., Holmes Co, OH.7 He married Elliner UNKNOWN of Holmes OH before 1794.
- Andrew COMBS II (Andrew COMBS I, Joseph COOMBS I) was born before 1760, and first appears in the records of Loudoun Co, VA3 on the tax lists of 1780. He is missing from 1781 tax lists, but was taxed again in 1782, and 1787 in Loudoun. By 1800, he was in Nelson Co, KY8 where he appears on the 1800 tax list of that county. He died before 1818. Andrew II married Mary (HICKS?).
- John COMBS (aka COOMBS) (Andrew COMBS I, Joseph COOMBS I) was born about 1754 in Loudoun, Fairfax Co, VA He served as a patriot in the Revolutionary War between 1777 and 1783. He is first found on the tax rolls of Loudoun Co, VA3 in 1779 and 1780, but is missing in 1781. He was again taxed in 1782. Joseph died on 16 Jan 1849 in Loudoun Co, VA3, and was buried in North Branch Baptist Cemetery in Loudoun. John m (1) Unknown CRAIG (daughter of James & Jane WETHEROW Craig of Loudoun) before 1779, probably in Loudoun. She d bef 1797, probably in Loudoun, and John m (2) Nancy GREEN on 18 Jan 1797 in Loudoun. Nancy was the widow of George VENANDER whom she had m 2 Jan 1794 in Loudoun. She was b bet 1768 and 1771, and still resided in Loudoun as late as Aug 1849. By 6 Apr 1855, she was living in Morgan Co, OH10 where she d in 1860. She was buried in Ebenezer Cemetery, Neelysville, Morgan Co, Ohio.10
- Mahlon COMBS I (aka Mailon COOMBS) (Andrew COMBS I, Joseph COOMBS I) was born about 1759, possibly in Loudoun Co, VA.3 He served in the military about 1777 in Loudoun, and was taxedin that county in 1780. He is missing from the 1781 tax lists, but was taxed in Loudoun in 1782, and 1785-1787. He is of record in Loudoun in 1800, and appeared on the 1810 census of that county. By 1820, he was residing in Licking Co, OH,11 and appears on the 1830 census of that county as well. He d abt 1835 in Licking. He appears to have married (1) Rebecca (NORTON?), by whom he had son, Israel; and (2) Sarah by whom he had Anna. See also the Coombs-Fouch Family Bible Records.12
- Israel COMBS I (Andrew COMBS I, Joseph COOMBS I) was born between 1762 and1764. He was taxed in 1785 in Loudoun Co, VA,3 but is missing from 1786 and 1787 tax lists. He was a resident of Loudoun in 1800 and appeared on the 1810 census of that county.By 1820,he resided in Perry Co, OH13 and was still there as late as 1840. He is missing from the 1850 census and presumed deceased. He m Jane UNKNOWN before 1800. He made affidavit for his brother, Mahlon's RW pension application in 1823 in Perry Co, OH.
- Rebecca COMBS (Andrew COMBS I, Joseph COOMBS I) was born before 1774, and may have married a STEWART (See also the 1786 Frederick Co, MD2 marriage of a Rebecca COMB to a Reuben TRIPLETT). She is also found in the records of Loudoun Co, VA.3
- Combs &c. Families of The Tonoloways Settlement (Maryland-Pennsylvania)
- Combs &c. of Frederick Co, Maryland
- Combs &c. Families of Loudoun Co, Virginia
- Combs &c. Families of Fayette Co, PA
- Combs &c. Families of Westmoreland Co, Pennsylvania
- Combs &c. Families of Wayne Co, Ohio
- Combs &c. Families of Holmes Co, Ohio
- Combs &c. Families of Nelson Co, Kentucky
- Combs &c. Daughters of the American Revolution, Early Lineages
- Combs &c. Families of Morgan Co, OH
- Combs &c. Families of Licking Co, Ohio
- Coombs-Fouch Family Bible Records
- Combs &c. Families of Perry Co, Ohio
Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.
NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet’s Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety — including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c. Research Group, Email: Webmaster.
© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group