Dedicated to the Memory of Combs &c. founder Carole Hammett (1946-2009)
This Combs &c. Web Site is Generously Hosted by Click Here to Join USGenNet
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet

Last updated 27 Jan 2009
You are Our 3381st Visitor.
Please Email Additions/Corrections to Webmaster


Toddington, a market town and parish in the hundred of Manshead, county of Bedford, 5 miles northeast of Leighton-Buzzard, less than 7 miles north northeast of Soulbury, Bucks, 7 miles northwest of Luton, Beds, 15 miles south of Bedford, and 39 north northwest of London… The market was granted by charter of Henry III in 1218. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln… in the patronage of the Heirs of the late Lady Louisa CONOLLY. The church, which is dedicated to St. George, has portions in the later style of English architecture, and contains some ancient monuments; the exterior is ornamented with a variety of grotesque figures of animals. Some remains of an old manor-house, erected on the summit of Cinger mount, are still visible, having been converted into a farm-house. An hospital for a chaplain and three poor men was founded here, in 1443, by Sir John BROUGHTON.

It is quite possible that the following is not a Toddington record. We know from other (non-Combs) records that there was an early Tuddington [sic] in Bedfordshire,* but whether it still exists under that name, or became Toddington is still not yet known. There is also a Toddington in Gloucester.

1629-1634 Commissary Court of London, f356. Will of William COOMES Land in Tudington; chldren William and Jane; sister Martha; wife Anne, executrix; overseers Thos HENNE & Thos GOOSE (Commissary Court of London Will Abstracts Volume 26 (1629-1634) Surnames C-F)

* Tuddington, Bedfordshire is mentioned in the 1806 Magna Britannia in reference to the above-noted Sir John BROUGHTON; i.e., “…John Lord Russell, afterwards Earl of Bedford, married Anne, relict of Sir John BROUGHTON, of Tuddington, in Bedfordshire, and heiress of Sir Guy SAPCOTE…" Gen-UKI's Chenies, Bucks) and a 1617 Clare, Suffolk record names "… one John COPE of Tuddington in the County of Bedford, husbandman…” (A Short History of Clare, Suffolk).


Return to Combs &c. of Bedfordshire

Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —

Combs &c. Research FamiliesCombs Research Group Proud Patron of USGenNetJoin USGenNet

This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.

NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet’s Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety — including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c. Research Group, Email: Webmaster.

© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group