This Web Site is Generously Hosted by
We Support Free Nonprofit Genealogy and History on the Internet
|Two Duncan Families|
with Combs Connections
by Combs Researcher Gloria Bogart Carter
Ed. Notes: Two apparently entirely different DUNCAN Line intermarried and/or associated closely with what appears to have been (not yet proven) one Combs Line, probably the descendants of Mason Combs, Sr. of Stafford and Frederick Cos VA and Rowan and Surry Cos NC. Genealogist Gloria Bogart Carter has graciously provided the following data about each of the two DUNCAN Lines. All of the following is from Gloria's files except those sections preceded by the phrase, "Ed Notes" and/or actual records that have been added by Gloria and other Combs Researchers. Also note that "hot links" to Combs Counties do not necessarily indicate the presence of Duncan records, but are added as part of our search for possible "Combs Clues" by way of migration patterns.
1. William DUNCAN the Elder, father of Charles DUNCAN of Culpeper Co, VA (1742-1789), son of William DUNCAN the Elder and father of Henry DUNCAN who m 5 Apr 1803, Lincoln Co, KY, Mary "Polly" Combs.
2. Marshall DUNCAN the Elder of Prince William (Fauquier) VA; Rowan (Surry) NC (ca 1705-1777), father of Charles DUNCAN of Washington TN (ca 1745-1818).
- William DUNCAN the Elder. (Excerpted from "Descendants of William Duncan the Elder," by Reba Roy, 1959, by Combs Researcher Gloria Bogart Carter; also includes annotations and additions/corrections by Gloria plus various other records collected by Gloria and other members of the Combs &c. Research Group as noted below)
Charles DUNCAN, the father of Henry DUNCAN who marr Mary "Polly" Combs, was born 8 Oct 1742, the son of Wm DUNCAN, the Elder, d intestate in Culpeper Co VA in March 1789; marr ca 1763 Sarah (?) (it has been stated that she was d/o Philemon KAVANAUGH, but no record has been found) she is bur in Duncan Cem near Richmond, Madison Co, KY tombstone reads b 1742 d 1824; Charles served as a Pvt CO 6 Capt Blackwell's Reg, he was granted a land warrant No. 1473 Aug 1, 1783 for 100 acres of land for three years service as soldier in the Continental Line.
Children of Charles DUNCAN 1742-1789 :
- Mary DUNCAN b 10 Nov 1764 Culpeper Co VA d 8 Mar 1841 Madison Co KY; marr 1782 Robert COVINGTON; both bur Duncan Cem Richmond, Madison Co, KY.
- Nimrod DUNCAN b 1766 Culpeper Co VA d in IL; marr 24 Dec 1797 Lucy BROWNING; He may have been the Nimrod DUNCAN that marr Hannah MARTIN 11 Jan 1786 Culpeper Co VA; he later lived in Madison Co KY.
- William DUNCAN b ca 1768 Culpeper Co VA marr 1st (?); marr 2nd 21 Feb 1825 Sallie COLLINS d/o Thomas COLLINS of Madison Co KY
- Charles DUNCAN b ca 1770. One account states he marr Margaret WOODS 17 Dec 1795, while Burns, MADISON CO MARRIAGE RECORDS says he marr Mary Ann WOODS 15 Dec 1795
- Shadrack DUNCAN b 17 Sep 1772 d 26 July 1836; 1st marr 1 Aug 1803 Elizabeth WILLIAMS believed to be d/o John WILLIAMS known as "Muddy Creek John" because he owned so much land on Muddy Creek, Madison Co KY; 2nd marr 22 Sep 1820 in Hardin Co KY Priscilla KEITH d/o Wm KEITH and Elizabeth LaRUE
- Isaac DUNCAN marr 21 Sep 1795 Susannah d/o Wm. KANANAUGH and Hannah WOODS.
- John DUNCAN d ca 1775; 1st marr 27 April 1802 Nancy BROWNING; 2nd marr 29 March 1824 Nancy DANKS.
- Henry DUNCAN b 1777 Culpeper Co VA d 8 Dec 1852 Cooper Co MO; marr 05 Apr 1803, Lincoln Co KY, Mary (Polly) Combs d/o William Combs. She is believed to have been born in Shenandoah Co VA, died at Lone Elm [Cooper Co, MO] 3 May 1842. They moved to MO in 1836. (See below)
- Mildred DUNCAN, b 1779 Culpeper Co VA; marr 2 Nov 1797 Madison Co KY Jarrett PHELPS s/o Josiah PHELPS and Elizabeth PATTERSON.
- Elizabeth DUNCAN b 1781 d 1852; marr 24 Aug 1802 Eli SIMMONS/o Samuel SIMMONS and Verlinda WILLETT. His will in Jackson Co MO will Book L page 155; Seal affixed 22 June 1849; he died March 1851.
- Zachariah DUNCAN b 21 Sep 1784 d 11 April 1857; marr ca 1817 Jemima HOOPER; they are buried just over the Todd Co KY line from Logan Co KY
1810 Census, Madison Co, KY, p. 199: Robert COVINGTON: 12001-10101-04
Two Nimrod DUNCANS are found in the 1810 KY Census. It is not known which, if either is the above Nimrod.
Henry and Mary "Polly" Combs Duncan
- Henry DUNCAN b 1777 Culpeper Co VA d 8 Dec 1852 Cooper Co MO; marr 05 Apr 1803, Lincoln Co KY, Mary "Polly" Combs, d/o William Combs. She [may have been] born in Shenandoah Co VA, and died at Lone Elm, Cooper Co, MO, 3 May 1842. They moved to MO in 1836.
(Lincoln Co, KY Marriage Records) This is to Certify that I have given my consent that Henry DUNCAN and my daughter Polly should join in marriage given under my hand this 5th day of April 1803. Signed Wm COMBES - Wit: Wm Thomas MONTGOMERY.
Know all men by the ___________ that we Henry DUNCAN and Baylis (CLOID?) are held and firmly bound by unto James__________governor of Kentucky under the sume of ______pounds current money for the payment of which we bind ourselves, our heirs to jointly and __________firmly by those present sealed with your seals and dated this 5tyh day of April 1803.
The condition of the above obligation is such that whereas a license is about to____ to for a marriage intended between Henry DUNCAN and Polly Combs. Now if there is no lawful cause to obstruct this marriage the above obligation to be void else to remain in full force. Henry DUNCAN/Baylis____________. Wit: Tho MONTGOMERY. (Transcribed by firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ed Notes: Polly Combs' father, William, is believed to have been the same who enlisted in the American Revolution in Shenandoah Co, VA, and later resided in Bath Co, KY. RW William Combs of Shenandoah and Bath appears to have been the brother of RW John Combs, also of Shenandoah Co, VA, and later of Sullivan Co, TN, and Lincoln, Perry and Washington Cos KY. See also the 1916 biography of Lew Wallace DUNCAN, g-gson of Henry & Sally [sic] Combs Duncan.
Descendants of Henry and Mary "Polly" Combs Duncan
- Matilda DUNCAN b 4 Mar 1804 d 27 Nov 1881, bur Old Duncan Cemetery near Richmond, Madison Co, KY by her husband; married her cousin, Coleman COVINGTON b 19 Oct 1800 d 23 July 1871, s/o Robert COVINGTON (1760-1847) and Mary DUNCAN (10 Nov 1764-8 Mar 1841 d/o Charles s/o Wm. DUNCAN, the Elder) Their dates copied from tombstones by Mrs. Lee Duncan Stokes.
- James DUNCAN b 12 Oct 1806 Bourbon Co KY d Aug 1885 in North Salem, Hendricks Co, IN, bur in Maysville, Daviess Co, IN. (marr twice) marr (1st) Oct 1827 Annie PROCTOR b 1814 d 16 May 1855, d/o James Buchanan PROCTOR and and Lizzie TUDOR or TUDDER. Lizie was d/o Valentine TUDOR (a Rev War Vet b 4 Dec 1754 Brunswick Co VA d 5 Dec 1853 Madison Co KY) and Elizabeth HICKS. James Buchanan PROCTOR s/o Reuben PROCTOR (a Rev War Vet b ca 1754-60 Rowan Co NC d 30 Oct 1810 Natchez, Adams Co, MS).
- Mary DUNCAN marr William WOODWARD, lived in IN. Issue:
- Leonidas E.A. WOODWARD.
- Francey WOODWARD marr Charles CARVER, lived in Clement, IN. Issue:
- Cecil WOODWARD
- Mary WOODWARD
- Coleman Covington DUNCAN b ca 1833, marr Lizzie GLENN, was a merchant at
Carpentersville, IN, then moved to Clay City, IL or IN. Issue:
- Dr. Walter C. DUNCAN, d in Clay City
- James Wm. DUNCAN, d in Linton, IN
- May DUNCAN b Linton, IN, never marr
- Frank Glenn DUNCAN marr Sarah JONES. Issue:
- Marmaduke Coleman DUNCAN
- Bessie Marie DUNCAN marr Mr. GENTRY Issue:
- Mac Duncan GENTRY
- Dr. James Wm. DUNCAN b ca 1835 d ca 1867 at Hermitage, MO
- Annie DUNCAN b 18 Mar 1838 d 10 May 1916, marr 1869 Champ Omar YEAGER b
13 Apr 1838 d 16 Sep 1912; came to Allen Co KS bur Humboldt, Allen Co,
KS Cem. Issue:
- James Laban YEAGER b ca 1870, lived Heppner, Morrow Co, OR, marr
Loretta S. TURNER. Issue:
- Myra F. YEAGER marr Mr. PECK
- Ora M. YEAGER
- James Y. YEAGER
- Harvey A. YEAGER
- Ralph A. YEAGER
- Champ Connor YEAGER d age 21 in Humboldt, Allen Co, KS
- Mary E. YEAGER marr E.W. TREGO of Humboldt, Allen Co, KS. Issue:
- Willis TREGO d young
- Edward TREGO marr and left a son
- Linton TREGO marr Anna HOLT
- Homer TREGO lived at Ft Collins, Larimer Co, CO, marr Edna SMITH; vet WW I.
- Francis Marion YEAGER lived St Joseph, Buchanan Co, MO
- James Laban YEAGER b ca 1870, lived Heppner, Morrow Co, OR, marr Loretta S. TURNER. Issue:
- James Proctor DUNCAN b 20 Mar 1840 Putnam Co IN d 21 Jul 1921 bur
Humboldt, Allen Co, KS; marr 24 Oct 1858 Mary Ellen BAILEY b 14 Apr
1841 d 25 Jan 1893. He was Pvt in 78th IN VOL, then in 115th under Col HAHN,
later in the 111th VOL Col Lew WALLACE, in War of 1861-1865. Moved to Cooper
Co MO then to KS. Issue:
- Annie DUNCAN d infancy
- Lew Wallace DUNCAN b 22 Jun 1861 North Salem,
Hendricks Co, IN d 7 Apr 1931 Glendale, Los Angeles Co, CA;
marr 22 Jun 1877 Iola, Allen Co, KS to Annie May KEYSER b 9 Mar
1862 d 14 Nov 1934. Both bur Forest Lawn Mem. Cem. Glendale. Issue:
- Edna Lenora DUNCAN b 25 May 1888 marr 14 Jun 1924 Dr. Robert Warren DIVER. Issue:
- Alfa Irene DUNCAN b 29 May 1889 d 4 Aug 1945 marr 19 Jun 1920 Andrew H. BURT, d Jun 1955. Both bur Long Beach CA Cem.
- Lue Wallace DUNCAN b 14 Jul 1890 marr 28 Jun 1919 Clarence Bertram who d Oct 1948 bur Forest Lawn Cem. She lives Glendale CA.
- Clifford Morrill DUNCAN b 9 Nov 1894 marr 31 Aug 1916 1st Pearl Margaret WEBB (div 1924). Issue: marr 2nd Marjorie McBRATNEY.
- Nora Cordelia DUNCAN b 30 Nov 1863 d 29 Oct 1884, marr Orlando P ROSE. Issue:
- Ora D. ROSE b Jul 1884, marr Frances ZELNY, d before 1958.
- Ormund ROSE
- Dora Cornelia DUNCAN b 30 Nov 1863 (twin) , marr Orlando P. ROSE as his 2nd wife.
- Horace Otho DUNCAN b 1867 d 30 Oct 1886, never marr
- James Edgar DUNCAN b 1869 d Apr 1873
- Harry Everett DUNCAN b 24 Dec 1871 d 1952 bur Humboldt KS, marr Nettie
HALL who d 18 Dec 1945. Issue:
- Charlene DUNCAN marr Clifford BROWNELL, lives Odessa TX.
- Mary Agnes DUNCAN b 28 Feb 1874 marr Ernest BROWN of Iola, KS. Issue:
- Nita Ellen BROWN d before 1958, marr Horace PRIMMER.
- Miranda DUNCAN b ca 1842, marr Andrew Jackson STEVENS, both d in Cooper
Co MO on the same day, bur near Rich Hill, MO. Issue:
- Dillon A. STEVENS
- Annie STEVENS marr George A. HOPKINS
- Wm. M. STEVENS marr Bertha A. CHAMBERLAND. Lived in Decatur, Macon Co, IL. Issue: two children
- Amanda DUNCAN b ca 1844 d 1888 in Zionsville, Boone Co, IN, marr
Capt. Frank ZIMMERMAN, US Army, who d 1864 during War between the States,
in Indianapolis, Marion
Co, IN. She marr 2nd Allen RAY, Vivil War vet who served in 154th IN INF
- Dillon Bridges RAY marr Halcie SMOCK, d/o Cornelius SMOCK. Issue:
- Maurice Neil RAY marr Frances H. SHEARMAN
- Anna RAY marr Mr. PERRIN, of Detroit, MI; a dau lives in Seattle, WA.
- Ralph R. RAY marr Gertrude MEUSER
- Dillon Bridges RAY marr Halcie SMOCK, d/o Cornelius SMOCK. Issue:
- George Washington DUNCAN b ca 1846 marr Nan DAVIS in 1868, both bur North
Salem, Hendricks Co, IN. Issue:
- Elmer Coburn DUNCAN marr Pearl D. HADLEY. Issue:
- Glen D. DUNCAN b North Salem, Hendricks Co, IN
- Lula C. DUNCAN marr George DAVIS both d before 1958. Issue:
- Rollin DAVIS
- Mildred DAVIS
- Mary Eunice DAVIS
- Elmer Coburn DUNCAN marr Pearl D. HADLEY. Issue:
- John Wesley DUNCAN b 21 Nov 1847 Putnam Co IN d 8 Feb 1898 Allen
Co KS; marr 9 Jan 1868 Elizabeth Josephine OWEN b 14 Mar 1845 d 4 Feb
1919. Both bur Humboldt, Allen Co, KS Cem. He was in the Union Army. Issue:
- Ora Phares DUNCAN b 11 Feb 1869 Montgomery Co IN d 13 Oct 1945,
marr 16 Aug 1893 Charlotte Catherine MARTIN b 15 Nov 1867m d/o Fred P.
- Marius Quayle DUNCAN b 27 Jun 1894, marr 15 Oct 1927 Edna Florence GREEN b 18 May 1895 (div 22 Aug 1950). Lives Parkville, Platte Co MO.
- Howard Martin DUNCAN b 3 Dec 1896 d in service of influenza on 2 Oct 1918. Never marr
- Catherine DUNCAN b 18 Jun 1899 marr 20 Jan 1929 George Henry BUSLEY b 26 Dec 1886
- Josephine DUNCNA b 2 Jan 1902 marr 27 Feb 1924 Charles Henry NEIGHBOR b 20 Aug 1901 (div 1932). Issue:
- Ora Albert DUNCAN b 10 Feb 1905 marr 21 Feb 1926 Maxine Bonita DOGGETT b 28 Oct 1906. Issue:
- Mary DUNCAN b 19 May 1907 marr 4 Aug 1929 Herbert
AlfredDIMMITT b 15 Aug 1904. Issue:
- Freelie Ethridge DUNCAN b 30 Aug 1870 Hendricks Co IN, marr 3
Apr 1892 Charles Allen STEWART b 5 Jun 1870 d 1 Jun 1939. Issue:
- Alma Helen STEWART b 12 Jul 1893 marr 5 May 1917 Ray Renner HALE b 27 Dec 1895.
- Florence Gladys STEWART b 21 Jan 1895 marr 12 Jul 1926 William John HERR b 15 Apr 1927. Issue:
- Harlan J. STEWART b 4 Jun 1896 marr 12 Oct 1817 Ida Frances SHAY
- Glen Duncan STEWART b 4 Feb 1898 d 18 Oct 1948 marr Mary Kathryn RUSHTON b 28 Jun 1900.
- Donald Wayne STEWART b 30 Aug 1903 d 12 Nov 1904
- Emily Josephine b 12 May 1906 marr 21 Jun 1925 Harold Emerson TONKIN b 2 Nov 1902.
- Emmert Stanley DUNCAN b 16 Apr 1872 in Hendricks Co IN d 29 Nov 1951, marr 24 Nov 1897 Irene Almeada WALTON b 13 July 1871, lived in Glencoe, Payne Co, OK.
- Othello May DUNCAN b 10 May 1876 Hendricks Co IN marr 4 Dec 1898 William H. BOOE b 20 Sep 1873.
- Bertha Edna DUNCAN b 5 Nov 1880 d 18 Nov 1913 never marr
- Bulin Irene DUNCAN b 6 Jan 1882 marr 12 Feb 1902 Joseph Edgar HENDERSON b 24 Jan 1874 d 7 Apr 1935. She lives in West Plains, Howell Co, MO.
- Olin Delos DUNCAN b 2 Oct 1885 lived in Pittsburg, Crawford Co, KS; marr 1st Cleo (?) D aged 20; marr 2nd Ethel LINDSEY b 5 May 1886.
- Ora Phares DUNCAN b 11 Feb 1869 Montgomery Co IN d 13 Oct 1945, marr 16 Aug 1893 Charlotte Catherine MARTIN b 15 Nov 1867m d/o Fred P. MARTIN. Issue:
- Nancy DUNCAN b 1849 marr John GOSNOLD, both bur Kansas City MO. Issue:
- Laura GOSNOLD marr Mr. JOHNSON
- Bess GOSNOLD marr Austin SIMONS lived in Oklahoma City, OK
- Edna GOSNOLD marr Mr. MEDCALF of Weld, Maine
- Nina GOSNOLD marr O.O. HEYDENFELDT, Garden City, Finney Co, KS.
- Zella HEYDENFELDT marr Albert C. WESTBURG of Springfield, Sangamon Co, IL
- Keturah (Kitty) DUNCAN b ca 1851 marr William LONG d Holden, Johnson
Co, MO. Issue:
- Otis LONG
- Frank LONG
- William LONG
- Dora LONG marr Mr. SHERARD of WY
- Jesse LONG, lived Jamestown, IN
- (?) LONG marr Frank HUMPHREYS
- James DUNCAN s/o Henry DUNCAN marr 2nd about 1857 Mrs. Miranda DEAN of North Salem, Hendricks Co IN. Issue:
- Ruth DUNCAN b ca 1858 marr William PECK
- Benjamin F. DUNCAN b 1860 was a farmer at Roachdale, Putnam Co IN,
marr ca 1882 Ollie BOYD. Issue:
- Ray DUNCAN
- Von DUNCAN marr Grover BAILEY
- Earl DUNCAN
- Chloe DUNCAN marr Glen RAY
- Constance DUNCAN marr Herschel GORDON
- Rose DUNCAN marr Rush TAYLOR
- Belle DUNCAN marr George DAVENPORT d at Alzada MT
- Elmer DUNCAN (twin to Della)
- Della DUNCAN marr Enice E. CHESIER of Alzada, Carter Co, MT.
- Urban C. CHESIER
- Guy Forest CHESIER
- Revel CHESIER
- Conner CHESIER
- Marcus D. CHESIER
- Charles A. CHESIER
- Walter J. CHESIER
- Bernice CHESIER d young
- Ruth Alice CHESIER d young
- Charles Oscar DUNCAN marr Anna Lenora YOUNG lived at Madison, Madison
Co, NE. Issue:
- Marjorie Louise DUNCAN
- Rose DUNCAN marr Rev Horace WILLIAMS of Manchester, NJ. Issue:
- Mary Kathleen WILLIAMS
- Eliza DUNCAN (d/o Henry DUNCAN) b ca 1808 d Cole Co MO, marr 30 Aug 1827 Moses PROCTOR. (Said to have had 8 children)
- John PROCTOR
- Hiram DUNCAN (s/o Henry DUNCAN) b 1810 marr 11 Mar 1830 Montgomery Co KY, Matilda ALLEN b 1813. Hiram was a soldier of the Confederacy. Issue:
- Allen DUNCAN b 1831
- Helen DUNCAN b 1833
- Mona DUNCAN b 1834
- George Duncan b 1836
- Ann DUNCAN b 1840
- Rebecca DUNCAN b 1842 KY
- Harriet DUNCAN b 1844 MO
- William DUNCAN b 1847 MO
- Amanda DUNCAN b 1849 MO
- Margaret DUNCAN (d/o Henry DUNCAN) marr Wallace STONE
- Jeptha DUNCAN marr 1st (?) Marr 2nd Patsy WHITE sister of Mary Ann WHITE, Lived Cooper Co MO.
- Andrew Jackson DUNCAN (s/o Henry DUNCAN) b 11 Jun 1817 d 5 Apr 1881 (cem rec Appleton City, St. Clair Co, MO) marr Miss FULTON. Came to MO in 1830. Issue: (had 11 children)
- David Henry DUNCAN b 11 Sep 1849 Cooper Co MO reared I Henry Co;
killed in accident 10 Sep 1882, marr ca 1870 Elizabeth BURDITT b 1852. Served
in Union Army. Issue:
- William Elmer DUNCAN b 1872 d 1939 marr (?). Issue:
- Doris DUNCAN marr Mr. ALBINEAU , lived South Gate, Los Angeles Co CA
- Archie Fulton DUNCAN b 1874 killed in car accident 1936. Issue:
- Harry DUNCAN lived Los Angeles
- Arthur E. DUNCAN b 1880 marr ca 1904 Sophia SCHELLMAN. Lived Portland,
Multnomah Co, OR. Issue:
- Leona DUNCAN b 1906 marr ca 1932 James SMITH.
- Paul E. DUNCAN b 1907 marr Myrtle MATSON, Lived Portland, Multnomah Co, OR.
- Margaret DUNCAN b ca 1909 , lived Portland, Multnomah Co, OR
- Marie DUNCAN lived San Francisco, CA
- William Elmer DUNCAN b 1872 d 1939 marr (?). Issue:
- Elizabeth M. DUNCAN SCHLABACH b 22 Mar 1852 d 6 Dec 1918 bur in A.J. DUNCAN lot by David H. DUNCAN, A.J. DUNCAN and Maranda BARNETT.
- George Washington DUNCAN (s/o Henry DUNCAN) b 13 May 1821 Bath Co KY [Ed. Note: seeking source for birth location] d 6 Jun 1895, marr 25 Feb 1847 Madison Co KY Mary Ann WHITE b 2 Feb 1826 Greenup Co KY d/o Jonathan and Elizabeth WHITE of Owen Co KY. Elizabeth WHITE was d/o Henry SCHOOLER or SCHUYLER and Elizabeth VANCE. Mary Ann DUNCAN d 26 Jun 1890 Booneville, Cooper Co, MO. G.W. was a Lieut. in Pope's Regt MO MIL USA. Issue:
- Mary Elizabeth DUNCAN b 29 Apr 1848 marr Sylvanus YOUNG ca 1867. Issue:
- Nellie YOUNG marr Robert Fox MxARTHUR
- Lawrence Henry YOUNG
- Arthur YOUNG
- Warren Combs DUNCAN b 2 Nov 1849 marr Margaret SEAT. Issue: 5 daughters and three sons
- Minerva G. DUNCAN b 1851 d 24 Dec 1854
- Maria Louisa DUNCAN b 14 Aug 1851 marr Robert Smith RANKIN. Issue:
- Margaret RANKIN marr a JEWETT
- Mabel RANKIN marr a REED
- Myrtle RANKIN marr a HART. Had 13 sons and 11 daughters.
- Robia RANKIN marr a SMITH
- Leonidas A. DUNCAN b 2 Jun 1853 Booneville, Cooper Co, MO d 6 Aug
1927 at Sunnyside, Jefferson Co, WA. Marr 1st Laura BRYAN d 1889. Issue:
- Dwight Joseph DUNCAN lived in Dallas, Dallas Co, TX.
- Frances DUNCAN lived Kansas City, MO never marr
Leonidas A. DUNCAN marr 2nd in St Clair Co IN Eva Mae GOLLIDAY b 2 Apr 1872 d 12 Jun 1953 in Yakima WA. (3 children unknown)
- George Washington DUNCAN Jr. b 22 Feb 1857 marr Hattie ENGLE (had 3 sons and a dau)
- Alla DUNCAN b 8 Nov 1859 d 12 Jun 1943 marr 17 Mar 1881 Dwight Norton GRAVES.
- Berniece GRAVES b ca 1882 marr Aug 1905 Lee GLOCKNER. Issue:
- Virginia Lee GLOCKNER b ca 1906 marr Richard TERKEL
- Charles GRAVES b 12 Oct 1884 d 1934 marr 8 Apr 1908 Lottie HOOPES. Issue:
- Betty GRAVES marr Richard M. HENDRICKSON.
- Chesley Robert GRAVES b 4 Oct 1885 marr Lillian Duke HILL. Issue:
- Vivian Lee GRAVES marr Robert GRAVES
- Berniece GRAVES b ca 1882 marr Aug 1905 Lee GLOCKNER. Issue:
- Henry Clay DUNCAN b 23 Nov 1861 Lone Elm, Cooper Co, MO d 4 Aug 1938,
marr 21 Sep 1887 Melissa Malissia STEGER, d/o Wm. A. STEGER and Sarah PATRICK.
- Cullen S. DUNCAN
- dau marr Donald E. SCHLOSSER, lived Kansas City, MO
- Cullen S. DUNCAN
- Nathaniel Lyons DUNCAN b 31 Jan 1863 or 64 d 26 Jan 1939, marr 31 Jan 1898
Ida Cornelia GREEN b 18 Dec 1877 Saline
Co MO d 22 Jun 1947. Issue:
- Nathaniel Clayburn DUNCAN b 3 May 1901 Napton, Saline Co, MO, marr 15 Sep 1923 Irene Harriett SHANNON b 19 Jun 1900, Lived Napton, Saline Co, MO.
- Araella (Ella) DUNCAN b 27 Oct 1873, marr W.L. ROGERS. Issue:
- son d in infancy
- Mary L. ROGERS
- Ervin Miller DUNCAN b ca 1867 d in infancy
- Bertha Viola DUNCAN 23 Sept 1870 marr a LOMBERT/SOMBERT
- Miranda DUNCAN (d/o Henry DUNCAN) b 18 Jan 1827 d 1 May 1881 Appleton City, St. Clair Co, MO, marr 20 Sep 1844 Madison Co KY James Heatherly BARNETT b 16 Aug 1818 d Feb 1906 at Red Lodge MT. He was s/o Alex. BARNETT and Susan HEATHERLY [Ed Note: See Also James HEATHERLY-Margaret Combs m 1820, Madison Co, KY]. Issue:
- William Henry BARNETT b 7 Jul 1847 Madison Co KY, christened in 1902
in St Patrick's Church Fort Wayne, Allen Co, IN, d 2 Mar 1929 Long
Beach, Los Angeles Co, CA, marr 14 Jul 1876 Kentland, Newton Co,
IN Joanna O'Driscoll MORIARTY b 18 Feb 1845 Bellefontaine, Logan Co,
OH d 1 Aug 1923 Long Beach, Los Angeles Co, CA. She was d/o Michael
MORIARITY and Marie O'DRISCOLL. Issue:
- Ada Bertha BARNETT b Earl Park, Benton Co, IN d 29 Jan 1949 , marr ca 1913 George TAYLOR. Issue:
- Gertrude BARNETT d in infancy
- Carl BARNETT b Rich Hill MO d 17 Jul 1916 marr 24 Jan 1905 Katherine
C. REILLY. Issue:
- Edward Joseph BARNETT b 6 Dec 1905 Ft Wayne, Allen Co, IN
- Mary Frances BARNETT marr Apr 1907 Albert HARTWIG. Issue:
- Clara HATWIG
- Elizabeth HARTWIG
- Alberta HARTWIG
- Grace BARNETT b ca 1890 Brazil, Clay Co, IN marr 29 Jul 1947 Allen R. WREN. Lived Washington, D.C.
- Francis Leo BARNETT b Momence, Kankakee Co, IL marr Nov 1920 Helen BLEY
- Susan BARNETT marr Robert MILLER
- Mildred BARNETT marr Daniel TAYLOR
- Matilda BARNETT
- Alice BARNETT marr Mel STONE
- Coleman BARNETT marr Sue Combs
- Frances (Fanny) BARNETT marr Fred SWOPE
- James C. BARNETT marr Alice HOLLAND
12 Apr 1822 (Montgomery Co KY Marriage Records) COVINGTON, Coleman married DUNCAN, Matilda ("Early American Marriages: Kentucky to 1850, Jordan R. Dodd, et al, Precision Indexing Publishers, Bountiful, UT)
Children of James DUNCAN and Annie PROCTOR:
Note: According to Roger Peterson; Myrtle Rankin married Henry Gibson Hurt
"The father of James DUNCAN was Henry DUNCAN whose family formed a part of the exodus to Kentucky from Fauquier and Culpeper counties, Virginia. Madison County, Kentucky, received them and he subsequently live in Bourbon County. In 1835, or about that date Henry DUNCAN brought his numerous family, yet at home, to Missouri and settled in Cooper County where he passed away. The family was a member of the Lone Elm locality of the county and there he is buried. Henry DUNCAN married Sally [sic] Combs and among their numerous children were Matilda who married Coleman COVINGTON, of Covington [Kenton Co], Kentucky; Miranda became Mrs. Wm. BARNETT and Margaret died as the wife of Wallace STONE, of Cooper County. The sons of Henry and Sally [Combs] Duncan were James, the only one to settle in Indiana; Hiram, a Missouri colonel of Confederate troops in the Civil war; Jeptha, Jackson, Granvil and George whose posterity is numerous throughout Missouri and the West." (Extracted by Combs Researcher Birdie McNutt from Kansas and Kansans Volume 5 (Ancestry Library)
Return to beginning of report.
- Marshall DUNCAN the Elder (from
family records in files of Gloria Bogart Carter)
Marshall DUNCAN, the Elder b ca 1705; marr Mary Ann (?) in the early 1730's; in Prince William Co (later Fauquier Co.) VA 1739; in Rowan Co (later Surry Co) NC 1764 until his death in 1777. Will of Marshall DUNCAN , Sr., dated 26 Aug 1776, probated at the May 1777 term of Court in Surry County NC, and recorded in Surry Co NC Will Book I page 74.
- Charles DUNCAN, eighth son of Marshall and Mary Ann (?) Duncan was b ca 1745; he is in his father's household in Rowan Co NC 1768, but listed separately in Surry Co NC 1771 and 1772 (tax lists); marr Luranah (?); in Surry Co NC 1776 when he witnessed his father's will; in Washington Co TN by 1778 (tax lists) also County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions vol 1 page 82 1779); lived on Knob Creek by 1784 (Washington Co TN Deed Book 1 page 238) until his death in 1818. His will dated 14 April 1817, witnessed by H. G. KING, Richard CARR, and William CARR, probated July 1818 (Washington Co TN Will Book 1 page 117) named his wife Luranah who was to have the land and farm where he then lived during her life or widowhood; all his land was left to his sons William, John, and Robert to be divided equally among them; that William and John were to have the profits from the saw mill since they built it at their own expense; and further named his sons Raleigh, Marshall, and Joel and his daughters Sarah, Mary, Stacy, Nancy, Elizabeth, Margaret and Lorany; and specified that if Robert died without lawful issue, then his share of the land was to be divided among all the children. Charles DUNCAN'S inventory was filed 9 August 1828 (Washington Co TN Inventory Book 1 page 64-69) which might indicate that his widow Luranah was deceased by then
- Raleigh "Rollo" DUNCAN marr Marr KERR (CARR) 7 July 1794 Washington Co TN.
- Sarah DUNCAN marr William WALDREN; they moved to Gallatin County Illinois; 6 Feb 1830 when heirs of Sarah WALDREN, dec'd made a deed, all of White County Ill, all of whom appeared in the White County Ill court to acknowledge the deed.
- Marshall DUNCAN marr Susannah (?); he was bondsman when his sister, Elizabeth , marr Abraham BOGART 20 April 1799 Washington Co TN.
- Stacy DUNCAN marr James MELVIN 1775-1860 s/o Joseph MELVIN and Hannah (?).
- Joel DUNCAN b 1779 Washington Co TN d 20 Sep 1851 near Blandinsville, McDonough Co IL and is bur in Liberty Cem., marr wife unknown; They had 8 children.
- Elizabeth DUNCAN marr Abraham BOGART 20 April 1799 Washington Co TN; (they are 3rd great grand parents of Gloria Bogart Carter) Abraham s/o Hendrick "Henry" BOGART b 1746 Somerset Co NJ-d 1815 Washington Co TN and Elizabeth RANGE b 1742 Badminister, Somerset Co NJ-d 1788 Washington Co TN d/o Noah RANGE b in France came to Somerset Co NJ in 1713 and Elizabeth CONES / KONES d/o Nicholas CONES / KONES.
- William DUNCAN b 1783 ; marr 1st (?); marr 2nd Ruth ODELL 15 Aug 1809 Washington Co TN.
- John DUNCAN marr Mary (?); he d ca 1842 and his wife Mary appears on the 1850 Washington Co TN census.
- Joseph DUNCAN marr Susannah (?) ; had a grant for 320 acres on Boone's Creek, Washington Co NC (now-TN) 10 Nov 1784, and sold this land to James MELVIN 19 Jan 1789 while of "Granville Co SC"; he is probly the Joseph DUNKLIN in Greenville Dist SC 1790;
- Robert DUNCAN b Surry Co NC ca 1749; went to Sullivan Co TN;
- James DUNCAN marr Avey (Avarilla) (?); resided Surry Co NC, Stokes Co NC, Adair Co (later Russell Co) KY, to Sangamon Co IL by 1840 where he died.
"HISTORY OF MIDDLE NEW RIVER SETTLEMENTS 7 CONTIGUOUS TERRITORY" by Johnston, 1906 page 84-85, states that Charles DUNCAN had removed from Fauquier County VA to Stokes County NC and then to the New River Valley (which included the Holstein River area).
The home Charles DUNCAN built just outside the present Johnson City is still standing and is marked as a pioneer homestead, it has been refurbished to be as much like it was at the time it was built, wall paper, rugs every thing of that period. It has a beautiful fireplace mantle with a mirror. When the caretaker learned that I (Gloria) was a direct descendant of Charles DUNCAN he got on the phone and called the president of their society and she came out to the house and gave me the Royal treatment, and was equally thrilled to get copies of my family history.
(Washington Co NC [TN] DB3:148-9, Deed Book 3, pp. 148-9, copied from "Old Book A" starting with page 311) John THOMAS to Joseph MELVEN; 150 acres on the south side of Nobb Creek. Cons: 150 lbs. For: NC to John CALLEHAM 10 Nov. 1784; CALLEHAM to THOMAS. Sig: John THOMAS. Wit: Charles DUNCAN, John Combs. (Deeds 1775-1800, Loraine Rae)
The above John Combs has not been identified although he may have been the s/o William and Seth STACY Combs, earlier of Surry Co, NC, then Sullivan and Hawkins Cos, TN, then Russell Co, VA. See also Greenville SC and the 1788 Sullivan Co TN Militia List notes. Question: Who was Lurena DUNCAN who m David STEVENS on 01 Sep 1814 in Washington Co TN?
Children of Charles DUNCAN and Luranah (?)
Abraham 2nd marr 4 Jan 1812 Roane Co TN to the widow of George PRESTON, nee Jane LOONEY d/o Joseph LOONEY; Abraham's son William S. BOGART then marr Jane LOONEY Preston's daughter Mary PRESTON; Wm and Mary are bur in Green Pond Cem near Pearl, Pike Co IL.
Return to beginning of report.
Join Combs &c. in Support of USGenNet
— an IRS-approved nonprofit web-hosting service —
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information, please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.
NOTICE: The Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and complies fully with USGenNet's Conditions of Use. This Combs &c. Research Report has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research by the nonprofit Combs Research Group. Any and all commercial use is strictly prohibited. Researchers are encouraged to copy and distribute this work freely, but with the proviso that it may only be copied and circulated in its entirety -- including this notice, and all sources, bibliographies and credits; and excepting electronically in which case permission is freely granted to link to this site instead. Sincerely, The Combs &c Research Group, Email: Webmaster.
© 1996-2010 Combs-Coombs &c. Research Group
& Gloria B. Carter;